26.12.13

11 Random facts, Questions, Answers and ELT Bloggers:Reply to Eva Buyksimkeyan

11 Random facts, Questions, Answers and ELT Bloggers

This is my very first  blog challenge and a dear colleague who I first met in Paris, Eva Buyuksimkesyan, tagged me for a very personal  blog challenge. Having served for many years as an officer for a teachers' association meant avoiding talking about myself so I have kind of forgotten what it is like... but  I’ll try to do my best.

 The task includes:
Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
Share 11 random facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
List 11 bloggers.
Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.

11 random facts about me
1. I’m a single parent raising two daughters
2. I grew up in a neighborhood with Greek refugees from Izmir and Asia Minor. Even though they had lost their homes and all their belongings, they managed to build their life from scratch. Their forward thinking has always been an inspiration.
3. As a child, I spent unique summers on Aegina, an island off the Athenian coast, playing with my friends on the beach and in the fields all day long.
Aegina, the island of my summers


4. I love chocolate and coffee.
5. My favorite books are the "Animal Farm" by George Orwell and " Christ recrucified" by Nikos Kazantzakis. They both show the bright and dark sides of human nature in a unique way each.
6. I love reading history books and watching documentaries.
7. My cooking skills leave a lot to be desired especially when it comes to dishes like "Moussaka" or "Pastitsio".
8. I adore discovering off the beaten track places when travelling in Greece and abroad.
9. I am often described as cosmopolitan and open to different cultures.
10. If I didn't live in Athens, I'd like to live on a Greek island.
11. Enjoying discussions with friends during a meal on a sunny day with a view of the Acropolis or the sea is bliss that no money can ever buy.
12. (Bending the rule but I think I need to add it) I consider myself a front line teacher. Dealing with issues arising in class helps you being a pragmatist and dreamer at the same time!

My answers to Eva's questions:

1. Do you remember the first class you entered as a teacher?
 A class of elementary level kids at the language school I had learned English. Having a male teacher - they usually have female teachers- must have been a challenge to them but soon they dropped their initial inhibitions and we all  had fun learning.

2. What is your favorite social media platform? Why?
Facebook because it combines picture, text, video and audio. It started as a pretty superficial social medium hosting gossip, fights and games but over the years it has evolved into a useful tool to create PLNs, share ideas and news and get in touch with people from all over the world.

3. How do you think blogging helps your teaching?
Working at a school that is at the forefront of educational practices, requires constant updating, sharing experience and learning from the experience of others . Writing blogposts allows me to reflect on practices and methodology I have applied. Reading blogposts allows me to broaden horizons by reading what front line teachers and innovators from all over the world are currently working on.

4. Tea or Coffee?
Coffee for ever!!! <3

5. Who is your favorite singer, band, musician?
Hard to pick only one. My favorite composers are Hadjidakis and Theodorakis. My favorite singer is Andrea Bocelli. 

6. Do you attend conferences? Why? / why not?
I attend conferences cause apart from the presentations, they allow for interaction with participants. I often find myself learning far more interesting stuff from chatting with other colleagues than listening to ELT "stars". It also helps me realize that educators face more or less the same problems everywhere and that there is no "ideal class". At least  not in planet Earth :)

7. Who were the most helpful tweeters or bloggers for you when you started blogging or tweeting?
Vicky Loras, Eva Buyuksimkesyan and Roseli Serra have been supportive and acted as role models. Posts are a different genre and it took me a while to adjust my writing.

8. What will be the first goal in your New Year’s resolutions list this year?
Focusing more on quality rather than quantity at work and spending more time with my daughters.

9. Where would you like to travel in 2014?
I know for sure I'm going to Harrogate this year but I would also like to go to Crete - a sun drenched Greek island in the south- and the dream of a lifetime, Brazil!

10. How long does it take to write a blog post for you and how often do you update your blog?
Once I realize what I need to express - usualy an experience or discuss a specific issue - it usually  takes me a few days and then after a week or so I edit it and if I am happy I upload it. Very often, I ask feedback from colleagues I esteem before posting it. In 2013, it's been a blogpost a month but it will be more frequent in the foreseeable future.

11. What is your favorite food?
Mediterranean food, especially in the summer.

Most of the bloggers I know have already been tagged more than once, but I would like to tag two exceptional colleagues whose posts are always a pleasure to read and most helpful in my daily teaching.
Christina Martidou
and
Chryssanthe Sotiriou


Here are my 11 questions:
1.       1.  How long have you been blogging?
2. What made you start blogging?
3. What advice would you give a new blogger?
4. How do you spend your free time?
5. If you were not involved in ELT, what would you do?
6. Do you speak any other foreign languages?
7. What is the ideal class for you?
8. What is the biggest challenge for educators at the moment?
9. What do you imagine yourself doing in ten years time?
10. Who is your favorite author?
11. Is learning technology a fad or a trend that will play a key role in education  in  the years to come?

Thanks you Eva for tagging me and including me in the game!
Looking forward to reading your next blogpost :)

3 comments:

  1. I just love Orwell's books as well and most of us teachers are coffee people from what I see! Great to know more things about you as a person!! Take care! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Theodora! Hope to see you in Thessaloniki at the TESOL Macedonia- Thrace, Northern Greece convention. :)

      Delete